Medical

Loss of Taste From COVID-19.

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Emily S
      Participant

Are you suffering from lost of taste or do you notice a difference in your sense perception? Me too.

I want to help you all who are dealing with this issue too. Have you heard of zinc? This is an essential minteral that is coorelated with your perception and sense of taste and it is the mineral that is rooted in taste disorders, research suggests. Although, the mechanism for how zinc has this impact is not known. It is proposed that COVID-19 is linked to levels of zinc within the human body. There has been identified zinc-deficient groups among those that catch or have had the virus.

Here is the article that coorelates zinc with COVID-19. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7781367/

Now that research understands the impact that COVID has on zinc levels and how important zinc is for taste, what can we do to increase zinc? I did some further research and found the following. Most of the technqiues revolve around your diet. Zinc is most commonly absorbed through zinc-rich foods. However, it takes nearly three months for you to notice a change in your zinc levels, so consistency is important with the researched techniques.

There are foods that are most high in zinc. Meat, shellfish, legumes, nuts, dairy, eggs, vegetables and dark chocolate. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-foods-high-in-zinc#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11

Zinc supplements. You can find these in a multivitamin or a pill.

What other research have you come across? Has anything helped you get your taste back?

David
        Participant

Thank you Emily for that tie in between loss of taste and zinc.  I hadn’t made that connection before.  But with the flu being passed around I had started taking supplements to have the immune system as healthy as possible.

When I look for vitamin supplements I usually like to see 20mg or better in zinc.

I had also heard that most people who don’t make it, have a very low level of vitamin D.  Had you heard that as well?  Some data showed that there was only 1 person who died with a level in the 40s, but typically, most had a level in the 20s or below. Some doctors are recommending 100 mcg of D.

Now more than ever it pays to keep the vitamin levels topped off.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.