Food

COVID 19 & Food

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Noelle Threatt
      Participant

I have personally been struggling with gaining weight due to lack of exercise when working and going to school online during the pandemic.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get started transitioning into healthier eating? I have been eating fast food a lot and need to eat healthier, but know I won’t succeed if I try to go cold turkey on eating what I like. Please help!

Rena
        Participant

I have a few ideas to share. Do you have time to cook at least a few times per week or maybe on the weekend? I usually cook one or two big meals that will last for the week and then alternate between the two for dinners. Soups work well for that too! For soups, I recommend trying Bob’s Red Mill Soup Mixes. I’ve used both the Vegi Soup Mix and Whole Grains & Beans Soup Mix, and followed the recipes on the back of the bag. The bags contain whole grains, beans, lentils and things like that. Make sure you’re drinking lots of water and get up and move around for breaks while you’re working. Start with a small goal this week and add something next week. I started making myself get exercise every day outside, no matter the weather and it’s really helped my state of mind. Today I ran up and down the stairs on our deck while it was snowing and it was actually fun. Good luck!

Aimee Buchanan
          Participant

I would suggest trying to meal plan your week so that way you can budget in days where you can eat whatever you want and balance those with days of healthier eating. I also agree that drinking plenty of water will definitely help. Soups are very easy as well, and they can be quite nutritious and tasty at the same time.

Aimee Buchanan
            Participant

And for exercise, try doing yoga. I’ve found it very relaxing, and it’s a good entry-level exercise if you don’t have much experience or need to get back into exercising every day. It’s also easy since you don’t need any equipment. I downloaded an app called Workouts for Women that is free and is filled with different workouts ranging from beginner to advanced targeting different body parts (ex. legs, arms) and different goals (ex. lose weight, gain muscle). You can even schedule a time for the app to remind you to workout, and it will keep track of which workouts you do and how many hours you put in. I would definitely recommend it because it has helped me immensely with getting into a daily exercise routine.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.