Depression

Therapy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Hannah Frazier
      Participant

Hi everyone. I have a close friend who is dealing with grief and depression. I think they need to speak to a therapist. They don’t want to go to therapy and think it’s “stupid.” Does anyone have any tips on how to get someone who is struggling to go talk to a therapist? They are the kind of person who keeps everything bottled in and it’s taking a toll on them.

Gia Jacks
        Participant

I have to say that I feel I was like that for a really long time. I was always the person who others turned to to share but it was harder for me to talk and share what was going on with me. A combination of last year and a ton of family stuff was really taking its toll on me and I had no one to talk to. So, I made the decision to seek out help. My advice would be to ease the person into it; bottling things up for so is a hard habit to break. And if the person is an introvert that might make accepting the idea of talking to someone even harder.

Aimee Buchanan
          Participant

I agree Gia that you should ease the person into the idea of therapy. Another thing you could try is having the person talk to people who have been to therapy and have gotten better. Maybe hearing personal accounts of people who got better might open your friend up to therapy.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.