Culture

Share your story, thoughts, photos, videos, or comments.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      AllyU
      Keymaster

Everyone has a story; share yours in the forum. Everyone has had a positive experience to share with the world to help them. Got a favorite quote or poem? Share it here. Post pictures and videos too. Are you having a hard day? Post it in the forum for your Allies to lift you up with positive feedback.

Anonymous

I grew up having to figure out my emotions and the root of the trauma myself because in my culture, mental health is a sign of weakness and still pretty taboo even though there has been a rise in depression in my community. I am thankful every day that I have been able to persevere and prosper but not everyone can say the same. My question is: How do you start the conversation about mental health with your family when they don’t believe in such a thing or belittle you? There has to be a way.

Andrea Lopez
          Participant

Wow. That is such a great question. I can relate to how mental health issues can be considered a sign of weakness in some families due to cultural beliefs. I come from a more traditional Mexican family and for many years, my mother did not understand the level of anxiety I had or why I had it. She just figured I was exaggerating/complaining about everything. Unfortunately, in my case, it wasn’t until I ended up in the hospital with a severe panic attack that she started to want to understand more about it. I then told her that my anxiety is a real thing and that I needed her support in order to better manage it. I also said that if she still wouldn’t support me then I wanted professional help otherwise I wouldn’t be able to handle it. In the end, I got the help I needed and support from my mother. Try openly communicating with them when you feel the time is right. For me, I found that speaking from my heart really made my mom more attentive. If you have a counselor, therapist, professional, or someone whom you really trust to guide you then maybe they can also help you come up with some type of plan on how you can best communicate with your family. If there is a family member who you feel may be more open-minded about these types of things, then maybe start with them. I. There are also a couple of articles online that address speaking about mental health to your family. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links here but try googling it. I understand everyone’s situation is different so I hope that you find something that may be beneficial. I wish you the best of luck in communicating with your family.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.