COVID-19

Online school during COVID

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Allie B
      Participant

How are you managing online school for your kids?

AllyU Webmaster
        Keymaster

The whole online school approach seems to place a greater burden on parents.  As a grandparent I had to track zoom schedules for the classroom and make sure the grandson was on at the appropriate times.  Then when he would try and ask me the answer to what the teacher was asking.  All in all, not a good learning environment.

lilzag
          Participant

It’s working well for my two high schoolers and I’m very pleased with how things are going so far.

Ashley Hicke
            Participant

As an online schooler myself (college student) it is definitely not an ideal learning environment, even for myself. There are plenty of distractions, it is difficult to organize yourself and your schedule, and the stress feels even worse. I can’t imagine what it’s like for younger children in elementary school who haven’t even experienced these types of responsibilities before. Hopefully it is a teaching moment for everyone, and we all come out stronger.

Lindsay C
              Participant

I’m currently going to college online right now and it’s definitely not easy. There are some classes that just should not be strictly online, such as the advanced math and science classes. I am struggling really bad because this whole pandemic has created a new lifestyle almost, and it has taken me until now to really get used to things and create my own new routine and system of doing things. It has definitely taken some getting used to.

Ashley Hicke
                Participant

I’m in the same boat as you Lindsay. Some classes have been either really difficult online, and others like lab classes feel pointless and a waste of time. I wish the professors, faculty, etc had our best interest in mind and would try to support us more in our education, while keeping in mind that our time is valuable.

Anonymous

I’ve taken online courses before the pandemic but I am the worst at staying focused! The only thing that really kept me on track back then was going to the library… Which is not feasible now. Any tips?

Noelle Threatt
                    Participant

Like Lindsay and Ashley, I’m also a college student taking classes fully online due to COVID-19. It feels more like teaching myself sometimes than being taught by the professors. I understand it’s necessary to ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff, but online learning definitely feels less effective than in person for me. One thing that has helped me stay on top of assignments is using a weekly planner. At the beginning of the week, I use the syllabus schedules to outline each due date and schedule blocks for reviewing lectures and class content. By being able to look at a visual representation of everything due, it’s easier to accomplish each item rather than just fearing the massive amount of assignments.

Aimee Buchanan
                      Participant

I agree with Noelle that having a weekly planner has definitely helped keep track of assignments. I have also used certain apps that will notify me when a due date is coming up which I have also found to be helpful.

Noelle Threatt
                        Participant

Aimee – which apps have you been using for notification of deadlines? I’d like to check some out!

Patricia De Leon
                          Participant

University student here, and honestly it was tough. I also felt like the workload was packed more with weekly assignments, which can be a lot to juggle when taking 5 courses. Like Noelle, keeping everything in one place definitely helped keep things organized in the long run. Normally, I keep a physical planner for the semester, but I have recently switched to using the online app Notion which I honestly adore!

Aimee Buchanan
                            Participant

@Noelle The app that I have been using the most is Homework Pal which allows you to put color code by class, and it will notify you what assignments you have due that day. I have found it to be helpful, so hopefully you will as well.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.