Anxiety

Worry/Anxiety

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Hannah Frazier
      Participant

Hi everyone. I feel like I have been worrying a lot lately. I’ve just had a lot on my mind and worrying about the future. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with anxiety and excessive worrying? Thanks all.

Audrey M
        Participant

In general, when I’m feeling really anxious or find myself worrying too much, I’ll try to do some sort of exercise and it usually improves, or I’ll do some deep breathing. Depending on the topic of worry, I’ll try to put it all in perspective, like ‘this could always be worse’ and it’s not so bad. For example, I’ll worry because my son isnt doing well in school but I’ll think there are kids in much more difficult situations, who have much worse health or mental conditions.

Amy Tillman
          Participant

My therapist told me about the circle of control. Draw a large circle on a piece of paper and a smaller circle inside the large one. Whatever you are worried about define it above the circles. In the large circle are things that are out of your control and the small circle is what is in your control. Example, worried about finding a job. In your control would be things like, resume, searching for a job, networking, etc. Things out of your control, are other peoples play into getting a job, like being called for an interview, or returning an email, or actual hire. The things that are within you control you can worry about (of course, not for long) but the things that are not in your control is off limits to worry about because it serves you no good. When you realize you are stressing about things that are not in your control, you must do everything in your power to redirect your thoughts. I have found this to be very helpful. I hope it helps you

Amy Tillman
            Participant

I tried to add a picture but it didnt work. Maybe this link will

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Circles-of-Control-Worksheet-3103278

Hannah Frazier
              Participant

Thank you all for your advice! Amy, I never heard of the circle technique. I’m going to have to try that. I just have a lot on my mind like work, college, family, money, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.