Anxiety

Social Anxiety

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ashley Hicke
      Participant

Do you ever struggle with social anxiety even though many interactions are limited or virtual due to COVID? I personally still feel the weight of my social anxiety. It can take a toll on my ability to concentrate and my mental health in general. How do you personally overcome social anxiety, especially when it feels completely irrational in the moment?

Allison Graham
        Participant

I completely understand the struggle because I have dealt with this my whole life. Social anxiety can be crippling. For me, I enjoy my Apple Watch it has a “breathing” app. This helps you focus your energy on breathing techniques that calm you down when you need it. Or, when you feel anxious maybe try going out with “safe people” in your life that will help calm that anxious energy down that you are feeling.

Ashley Hicke
          Participant

I love these ideas! I try using the second one regarding going out with safe people a lot, and that’s definitely helped. I have an Apple Watch but I rarely use it, so maybe I’ll start wearing it more often so that I can try out the breathing app you mentioned!

Nessa Thompson
            Participant

I have been trying to “check the facts” because I realize a lot of my thoughts are irrational. It’s hard and it doesn’t always work but the more intentional I am about my thoughts, I feel the more I can ease the debilitating aspect of my anxiety. I often feel that people are against me or there is some kind of hidden agenda (this is just my experience) and I find if I am more mindfully logical about what is going on, the thoughts ease up a little bit.

Andrea Lopez
              Participant

I agree with Allison. The breathing app has helped me tremendously whenever I feel my social anxiety rising. I’ve also noticed that throughout the years I will go out/communicate with small groups of people I feel comfortable with and then when it comes time to socialize with bigger groups, I tell myself I have handled it before and can do it again. It seems to work well for me. Now with virtual conferences/classrooms  I find myself essentially doing the same thing.

Christy Christopher
                Participant

It helps to be mindful of what one is saying to him or herself when faced with a social situation. What do you tell yourself when you are in a situation with a lot of people? What could you say instead? I have struggled with social anxiety for a good portion of my life and have learned ways to manage it with the help of a doctor, therapists, and a positive mental health community, and by learning Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Don’t give up! It gets better!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.