Anxiety

How are you dealing with your Anxiety?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      lilzag
      Participant

I’m looking for new tips on how to deal with my anxiety.

Ashley Hicke
        Participant

A lot of times I simply deal with my anxiety by trying to distract myself. This is obviously easier said than done, but sometimes it truly helps to just get away and focus on something else. I usually may just watch TV, listen to music, or practice any other from of self-care.

artchick98
          Participant

I’ve found it helpful to use the Headspace app for daily meditation and take walks.

Lindsay C
            Participant

I think it takes a lot of trial and error. If you’ve ever learned about DBT skills for Distress Tolerance, it can seem like there’s so much and it’s because everyone benefits from different things. I definitely understand this though. When I first developed anxiety and panic attacks, it was like there was this thing taking over my body and I didn’t know what to do with it. I feel like just trying new skills and strategies and seeing what works through trial and error is unfortunately the best way to do it. There’s no real quick fix of knowing what’s going to work. A very important part of this though is making sure you practice the skills you want to try BEFORE the anxiety. When I get anxiety, I can have good intentions but in the moment I seem to forget any kind of coping skill I’ve ever learned. I’ve realized over time that practicing them and rehearsing them ahead of time helps when you’re thrown into it later.

Allison Graham
              Participant

I tend to focus the anxious energy into different situations. For example, the gym or yoga are great and productive ways to focus the energy elsewhere!

Amy Tillman
                Participant

I found that writing things down helps me. My mom always write things down and she checks things off. I think Ive turned into my mom or maybe she taught me how to manage my overwhelming feelings, which is a good thing.

Andrea Lopez
                  Participant

I have found that  journaling along with exercise seems to lower my anxiety. I’ve had generalized anxiety for awhile now and I’ve found it takes awhile to figure out what works best for yourself. Meditation also helps me at times so long as it’s guided.

Lisa Meech
                    Participant

Hi!  I tend to do some of my favorite things. I do some coloring and spend a lot of time making cards. I have gotten some materials to start journaling so am looking forward to it.

Dreamarie
                      Participant

Does anybody have any tips on support groups? Meeting gatherings here?

Gia Jacks
                        Participant

Well it took me a really long time to even understand that the “nerves” I always assumed I was having was anxiety to being with. But since starting therapy, I have been doing a number of different things to help me cope. Similar to the method mentioned here already, BDT I believe, I have been trying new things and different approaches to my usual routine. But meditation and stepping outside for a few minutes or a short walk have been working the best for me.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.