ADHD/ADD

struggling with job search and interviews

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ava Rapp
      Participant

I’m in the job search after not being able to work for 2 years due to medical problems. I’m well enough now but the job search is so competitive and it’s difficult to stay motivated with all the standard rejection emails. I get anxious for the interviews so I talk too fast or too much or repeat myself (hello ADHD and anxiety) that I don’t make it to the next interview stage. Structure is also really helpful for me and when you’re unemployed you gotta make your own structure and stick to it. Also hard with ADHD, depression and anxiety.  Is anyone else struggling in the job search? Does anyone have any interview tips or insights on how to stick to a schedule and stay motivated?

David
        Participant

I was a hiring manager at a large defense contractor company.  When my project ended in 2011 they laid off everyone.  I had been with them for 20 years and felt I was protected, but I got the pink slip too.  It was quite odd being on the other side of the table for once.  Here are some tips on ways that helped me as I interviewed and was also the format I used when interviewing others.

Make a list of situations, tasks, or events in your prior jobs that will be used to answer any number of questions they may throw at you.   Use the STAR method when answering any questions.

ST – Describe the situation or task you were assigned.
          A – What specific actions did you take?  Note the word ‘you’.  If you focus too much on a ‘we’ or ‘the team’ then you are not describing the actions you specifically took.
          R – What were the results or outcomes?  If you know your solution is still being used today, let them know that.

By using this method you have a beginning, middle, and end to each answer.  Don’t forget to ask if that answered their question.

Don’t just showcase the areas where you always succeeded. Let them know of the hard decisions you may have made that did not turn out as well as you had hoped.  Hiring managers want to know how you react in adverse situations and how well you handle working with “hard to get along with” team mates.

I also had an elevator speech together of my highlights.  My first question was always “Give me a high level view of your background and experience.”  Don’t describe any of the tasks in detail during that but mention more of the projects you were on and your positions on those projects.

If you need to know the type of questions they may ask, search for the STAR interviewing technique.  Here’s one site that will be listed: https://interviewpenguin.com/star-interview-tips-and-examples/

As a last comment, I interviewed with Amazon a few years back.  Since 2006, I’ve always felt a higher power leading me into different positions and opportunities.  Although I didn’t really need a job with Amazon, it seemed like I needed to interview for this one back in December 2019.  I had prepared all my STAR answers and was ready.  I got there an hour before the interview.  The original Starbucks was about a 5 minute walk and so I took the time to get over to Pike Place and get a few pictures in front of the store.  I also had a sister who lived an hour away and so I went to visit with them after the interview.  The interview didn’t go so well but that was OK with me.  Not all of them will and upon reflection that was likely not the purpose of my needing to go to the interview.  As a result of getting to Seattle, I was able to spend time with my sister and her family.  I let them know I had a strong feeling something bad was about to happen.  In Star Wars jargon, it was like a rumbling in the Force.   The next month our President announces travel restrictions from China and COVID sets in big time.  For them though, my nieces lost their father.  He died in March.

Some things are bigger than we are.  But we all need to play our part.  I would have enjoyed working at Amazon, but, if I had gotten that job, I would not have been able to help at AllyU.  I was called to be as prepared as I possibly could, but the real calling was to share my feelings with my sister and her family.  And of course, I got to enjoy traveling to the original Starbucks and getting a photo opp with the staff there.  It was a win-win situation and I always like those.

David
          Participant

Hi Ava, I also had a lot of rejections.  I applied for over 100 positions and only 3 had the courtesy to call me and let me interview. Of those only 1 asked me in for another interview which led to an actual hire.  That position (1 mile from the Pentagon), was a dream job.  It dealt with eCommerce which I wanted and it included a very diverse group (Over 50% from India).  It was the perfect assignment and lasted for 5 years which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Don’t expect the first opportunity to be the one… wait and trust that the plan will be revealed in due time.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.